Sunday, May 26, 2013

Cody's Speech


The following is a speech composed by Warden Cody Tallmadge for his 4H club. We think you may enjoy it...


KEEP OUR FORESTS GREEN !!!

Good evening judges, leaders, guests and fellow 4-H members.

Hi my name is Cody. I am here to talk about Junior Forest Wardens.

"Keep our forest green" is our motto for our Junior Forest Warden club.
I am a first year member of the Junior Forest Warden club in Meadow Lake. My age group is called the Trailblazers.

Our club has an annual winter camp.
This year it was on February 22 to the 25th.
My mom and I went to a camp called Camp Oshkidee on the shores of Jeanette Lake.

Our first night we slept in a log cabin lodge.
The room only had one bunk bed in it !!

Our second night there, we slept in a quinzee.
A quinzee is like an igloo.
It is not made out of ice blocks, but is made from a HUGE pile of snow.
The snow pile was 7 feet high by 10 feet wide and 14 feet long.

The snow had to be piled the day before.
We shovelled and shovelled and shovelled and so on………4 hours later…….our snow pile was finished with the helping hands of Neil, Mathew and other wardens and leaders.

The snow was very sugary, not sticky, so it had to set up and harden over night.

The next day we had to dig out the cave to sleep in.
The walls had to be about 1 foot thick for good insulation.

It took all afternoon to scoop out all that snow.

It was cool in there that night, but it was alright
We had good warm blankets

I went snowshoeing at night and played snow shoe baseball.

We had lots of good food in the main lodge.
I helped cook the chili for supper on the first night.

I also earned my bronze badge on our camping weekend.

I had lots of fun !!

If you enjoy the outdoors, camping, archery or fishing, you should join our local Junior Forest Warden Club.

Thank you for listening


No comments: